Last Updated: August 31, 2017
PowerReviews is committed to collecting, displaying and sharing user-generated content ('content') from our clients that is authentic and fraud-free. The PowerReviews Authenticity Policy ('Policy') outlines requirements for a client's content (e.g., ratings, reviews, images, videos, questions and answers) to be considered Authentic. Our definition of Authentic means that content that is published has not been fabricated, modified, selectively published or fraudulently collected to the best of PowerReviews' and the client's knowledge.
The PowerReviews Authenticity Policy is designed to ensure consumer confidence when making purchase decisions. Compliance with this Policy will preserve the integrity of content displayed by our clients on their websites and when syndicated across the PowerReviews Open Network.
Further, this Policy is designed to ensure content collection and display practices are in compliance with the Consumer Review Fairness Act of 2016, which protects the consumer's ability to share honest opinions about a business's products, services, or conduct, in any forum, including social media.
This Policy applies to all content submitted to the PowerReviews Platform ('Platform') including content submitted via review collection forms; third-party content; content collected via alternative media (such as paper); and provides guidance for what content will be published to client website(s).
All clients must comply with the PowerReviews Authenticity Policy and PowerReviews Moderation Policy unless they have received written agreement from PowerReviews for an exception. Failure to comply with the Policy may lead to a client being removed from the Platform and/or termination of contract.
PowerReviews recognizes the true value of content to both our clients and the consumer. Authentic product reviews add value for anyone interested in making a purchasing decision. All content submitted through the Platform (e.g., ratings, reviews, images, videos, questions and answers) will be subject to the following standards.
Requirements for Authentic Content
In order for content to be considered Authentic Content, it must meet the following requirements:
- Fraud-free content - All content will pass through a fraud prevention process upon content submission. All clients must pass device fingerprint data through the content submission process. In the absence of device fingerprint data, content will be sent through a secondary validation process using additional data collected during the review process.
- No use of profanity or obscene language - Content that is offensive, profane, illicit, or otherwise inappropriate will not be published to the PowerReviews Open Network, but may be displayed on a client's website at their discretion.
- Full disclosure of client-submitted content - Content that is submitted from a client will be clearly displayed with a staff badge alongside the content.
- No submissions from direct competitors - Content found to originate from a direct competitor will not be published.
- No advertising - Any content found to contain any form of an advertisement will not be published.
Disclosure and Badging of Review Content
The following badging rules must be followed with respect to alternative content collection and display strategies:
- Sampling programs/endorsements - PowerReviews requires disclosure within submitted content in the form of specified text or an attached badge when said content is submitted by an individual with a relationship to the company or as a result of agreed upon incentives such as exchange of goods, services or financial benefits; including content submitted when consumers are given a product or service for free or at a discounted rate. Additionally, content must be denoted with an endorsement in the event the submitted content is not submitted into the PowerReviews Platform by the reviewer.
- Sweepstakes - Any content that is submitted as a result of being entered into a sweepstakes for goods, services or financial benefits must be disclosed and badged appropriately.
- Third-party content - PowerReviews clients and partners have the ability to display third-party collected content. Content displayed on a client's website that originated elsewhere must comply with the PowerReviews Authenticity Policy and contain disclosure of where the content originated (e.g., logo or badge).
- PowerReviews Open Network - PowerReviews clients that want to share their content with participating PowerReviews Open Network websites must disclose and badge the original source of the content.
PowerReviews clients have the ability to import legacy content to display on their website and syndicate this content to the PowerReviews Open Network. Any legacy content that has been collected prior to using the PowerReviews Platform will undergo our fraud and profanity filters to ensure compliance with the PowerReviews Authenticity Policy. Further, as part of the import process, clients must utilize device fingerprint technology across that data set in order to share that content to the PowerReviews Open Network. In the absence of device fingerprint data, content will be routed through a secondary validation process, using additional data collected during the review process, including IP address, to validate the content. Client may be asked to provide representation to comply with minimum standards. Any legacy content badges (e.g., Verified Buyer and Verified Reviewer) will also carry over to the client's display and the PowerReviews Open Network. Moderation will be at client discretion for legacy content.
All content submitted to the Platform will comply with the PowerReviews Moderation Policy, which states that all content will pass through extensive moderation processes including automated filtering and/or human verification.
PowerReviews does not alter content in any way, nor do we allow our clients to alter submitted content. Any piece of content that is published to a client's website appears as it was originally written, including grammatical errors.
Clients have a responsibility to adhere to the rules outlined in the Policy. Additional parameters around collection and display of content (e.g., ratings, reviews, images, videos, questions and answers) include:
- Enabling all of your consumers with the ability to write a review.
- Employing content collection practices that are in compliance with the Consumer Review Fairness Act of 2016.
Practices that will NOT be tolerated include:
- Moderating by keywords with the intent to manipulate review data or star ratings.
- Providing incentives to influence the outcome of a rating.
- Pre-screening of customers, such as using a simple star ratings submit form to prohibit detractors from writing reviews or diverting detractors to a customer service feedback form instead of a Write-a-Review form.
Compliance with the Policy
PowerReviews works closely with its clients to make sure that the guidelines outlined in this Policy are followed with regard to collecting, displaying and sharing user-generated content to client website(s) and/or the PowerReviews Open Network. Failure to comply with the Policy may lead to a client being removed from the Platform and/or termination of contract.
Changes to the Policy
PowerReviews may, in its sole discretion, update the Authenticity Policy from time-to-time as it deems necessary to further the purpose of the Policy.